In autumn 2015 the 8th edition of the Batumi Raptor Count will take place. The survey will be held from
17 Aug until 16 Oct.
Please consider applying to join us this autumn if you:
- have a strong interest in bird migration and/or raptors;
- you are available for at least twelve days between 17 Aug and 16 Oct;
- you speak at least good basic English;
- you can focus on counting migrants in a standardized manner and are personally motivated to follow protocol;
- can handle both warm, humid and cold, rainy weather conditions;
- can manage a daily short (20 - 25 min.) walk over rather rough and steep terrain to a local hilltop (counting station);
- enjoy being in an international group of people; relaxing with a drink at the end of a long day of counting; discovering new environments, places and people, where one's race, gender, religion, culture, sexuality, age ... are NOT considered relevant.
As in previous years, BRC will provide the following arrangements for counters:
- accommodation: a house with several rooms shared by 2 - 4 people. Hot showers, toilets, washing machine are available.
- food: breakfast & lunch are arranged daily to be used on the counting stations. Dinner will be provided by our host family
- transportation: going to the stations and coming back is done on foot (station 1) or with regular BRC drivers in a minibus (station 2)
A contribution of 38 GEL (about 15€) per person per day will be asked to help us cover the expenses for counters. For long term volunteers, we are currently in process of fund raising to have more attractive fees.
You can indicate the preferred duration and timing of your volunteering in the application form.
Who is our team of coordinators in 2015
The BRC Team is happy to announce that additional support for coordination for this autumn season comes from Aki Antila from Finland, and Charly Robinet from France.